Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 Vaccines are available for children ages 6 months and older
Key details on this vaccine:
- All COVID-19 vaccines for children have the same active ingredients as the adult versions.
- The vaccine dose for children is a lesser strength vaccine compared to the one given to adults.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines are available for children ages 6 months and older.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is a 3-dose primary series for 6 months through 4 years of age.
- The Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is a 2-dose primary series for 6 months through 5 years of age.
- Learn more about COVID-19 vaccine dosage for children.
Preparing Children for Vaccination
Receiving a COVID-19 vaccine will be very similar to any other routine vaccination. Here’s what you should expect and prepare your child for:
- It is not recommended you give pain relievers before vaccination to try to prevent side effects.
- Tell the doctor or nurse about any allergies your child may have.
- To prevent fainting and injuries related to fainting, your child should be seated or lying down during vaccination and for 15 minutes after the vaccine is given.
- After your child’s COVID-19 vaccination, you will be asked to stay for 15–30 minutes so your child can be observed in case they have a severe allergic reaction and need immediate treatment.
How Can You Receive a COVID-19 Vaccine?
The COVID Vaccine Clinic is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., located on the second floor of the JCMG Medical Building at 1241 W Stadium Blvd, Jefferson City, MO 65109.
You can sign up for an appointment by calling our COVID Vaccine Clinic at (573) 556-7745.
Signing Up – Online
Go to https://www.solvhealth.com/book-online/AGNVY0 and follow the instructions.
What Else Should I Know?
- Patients with compromised immune systems may still be at risk for COVID-19, even with the additional vaccine dose. They should continue to take precautions, including wearing masks, avoiding crowded, indoor, poorly ventilated places that are higher risk for spreading COVID-19, and practicing good hand hygiene.
- Vaccine supply at JCMG remains strong and we are well prepared to administer booster doses to our patients.