James Tyler Merchant, DO is a board certified osteopathic family physician and has completed a fellowship in high risk and surgical obstetrics. He provides full-scope family medicine services, ranging from prenatal care to delivering babies and caring for children and adults both in and out of the hospital setting.
He has a particular interest in preventive medicine, newborn care, osteopathic manipulative medicine, behavioral health, office surgery, chronic pain and headache, and end-of-life care.
Procedures he performs include IUD/Nexplanon placement and removal, colposcopy, vasectomy, limited OB ultrasound, vaginal deliveries and cesarean sections, tubal ligations at time of C-section, circumcisions, skin biopsies and laceration repairs, trigger point and joint injections and dry needling/acupuncture, occipital and pericranial nerve block, and inpatient and outpatient osteopathic manipulative treatment, including during labor and in the postpartum period to help alleviate discomfort.
Dr. Merchant speaks English and Spanish.
Bio for James Tyler Merchant, D.O.
Dr. Merchant was born and raised in Marshall and is a 2004 graduate of Marshall High School. He is the son of James and Lisa Merchant of Marshall and Debrah Krumsiek of Laurie. He played clarinet for seven years in the Marshall Municipal Band and looks forward to playing again with the band next summer now that he is back home. Target shooting, listening to music, hunting, and spending time with his eleven-year-old boxer, Ginger, are stress relievers for him.
Fellowship: Rural Medicine with High Risk and Surgical Obstetrics Fellowship, MultiCare Tacoma Family Medicine, University of Washington, Tacoma, Washington, 2017-2018
Residency: Family Medicine, Family Medicine and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, University of Wyoming, Casper, Wyoming, 2014-2017
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Erie, Pennsylvania, 2010-2014
Artium Baccalaurei with College Honors, Spanish, College of Arts and Sciences, Washington University, Saint Louis, Missouri, 2004-2007
- Family Medicine, American Board of Family Physicians
- Family Medicine and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)
- Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO)
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- STABLE Program
- Certified Cord Blood Collector, Bloodworks Northwest, Seattle, Washington
- Cert DN-1 (certificate in dry needling)
- Past Master, Trilumina Lodge No. 205 A.F. & A.M., Marshall, Missouri, 2004-Present
- Past President, University of Wyoming Family Medicine Residency Association, Casper, Wyoming 2016-2017
- LECOM Scholarship 2010-2012